Sunday, December 9, 2007

Memphis Half Marathon

I achieved a personal goal last Saturday when I finished my very first half marathon in Memphis, TN. It hasn't been a goal of mine for very long. I have been a short distance jogger (3-4 miles at least 4 times a week) for quite a few years now and have always enjoyed it. Frankly, it really never crossed my mind to run farther until a friend of mine in Alabama (Tessa Watson), with whom I used to run, mentioned that she had trained for and run a half marathon before she had kids. At that point I didn't really feel like it was something I could do. Then last year my friend Rachel Westhoff talked about doing the one in Memphis, but we both ended up not being able to do it (I can't run for most of my pregnancies). So we made it a goal this year after the baby was born, to train for it and run it together. Another friend (Kari Young) joined us as well and the three of us ran it together. Unfortunately, we forgot to take our camera to Memphis, and Tom didn't get there in time to see us finish and take pictures with our friends' cameras...so the only proof I have to show is my medal and number. We finished the 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 8 minutes (a 9 min and 50 sec. average mile). Tom and I are already both signed up to run another one on May 3 in Indianapolis.

4 comments:

Mikelle said...

congratulations!! What a huge accomplishment! That is so great and takes so much dedication--I could never run that far in one run!! Congratulations and good luck with the continued training! What a fun thing for you and Tom to do together!!

Suzanne said...

Jane, I am so impressed! I can't believe you run 3 - 4 miles a couple times a week, that is a major accomplishment. And then running a half marathon...wow! Way to go!

Christy Norris said...

JANE!! I didn't realize it was so soon! For some reason I thought it was in February or March. Congratulations! 9.50 miles?!?! Nice! You are amazing!

tessa said...

Jane you're awesome. That's a great time too. I'm not running now (26 wks preggo) but so want to train for and run one with you when I'm getting back in shape post baby. My triple jogging stroller will be filled up again and ready to go!