Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Festivities

I didn't get pictures of all of our Independence Day activities. They all took place on July 3rd this year, since the 4th was on Sunday. Our ward has a breakfast and flag raising every year. I'm not sure I have ever been, but Tom and the kids have. This year I was there for about 10 minutes. Reili was running a one mile kids race that morning, so she and I left the breakfast early and headed to her race.

On Memorial Day after walking the 5K she said she wanted to be able to run one. I told her the best way to start was to learn to run a mile first and then work up to running farther. She wanted to do it, so in June we started taking her to a track to "train" to run a mile straight. From the very beginning she could run the whole way and each week she got faster. It was really fun to see her work toward her goal and run with her. So on July 3rd she ran her first mile race and wanted me to run it with her to keep her going. It was the first time she had run hills and by the time the race started at 9:40 (an hour late) it was quite hot and humid. She did really well and I am so proud of her.

Reili with Mom before the race.


The starting line up.


There she goes!


Finished....finally!


Reili came in 36th out of 63 runners at 12 minutes 23 seconds. She was 6th in her age group. Way to go Reili!


That same evening we were invited to some friends for a picnic and fireworks display. This was our second year at that event and it felt great not to be pregnant this year and be able to really enjoy it. The Walton's have a huge back yard, perfect for fitting everyone. It is so fun.

Amberly and the kids playing some sort of chase the balloon game.


Reili, Amberly, and Caden.


Wesley poses by the chicken coop. He really loved hanging around the chickens and poking his fingers through the fence at them. Good thing he didn't get pecked.


Random shot of a bunch of people. This is what we all looked like just after dinner.

When it got dark, the men had fun lighting of tons of fireworks that everyone brought and went in on. Come to find out, Wesley is still scared of fireworks and refused to have any part in watching or being near them. We still can't figure that out....he is 3....what's up with that? He went inside and watched a movie. The other kids had fun watching them for a while and playing with the glow sticks we brought. Elizabeth slept peacefully inside in her pac n' play. I am so thankful to live in this great country. We are so blessed to be free and I am thankful to those who have gone before who made it possible for me to live here. What a great Independence Day! Let Freedom Ring!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

How fun for you. It is neat that you have so many friends to get together with. The military is like a second family. Neat.

tessa said...

Wow, that's great for Reili. I hadn't thought of having Bri train for something. Maybe I should. I always liked running with my Mom.