
We were lucky enough to inherit a pear tree in our back yard. Last year we gleaned one pear from the tree. Well, to say we gleaned it is not entirely true. I noticed there was one pear on the tree, hanging there, fully ripe and rotting at the end of the summer. This year we had a bumper crop. I can only attribute it to a very wet spring. In fact, when we returned from our summer in Utah some of the branches of the tree had broken under the weight of so much fruit. It was amazing! I spent much of my time the last couple months thinning the fruit, waiting for it to ripen in the basement, then making jam (another of my Grandma's great recipes) and bottling pears. It has been quite the learning experience for me, but I have enjoyed it.

A regular sized pear compared to the "Big Daddy" pear from our tree. See, it is a giant pear!

A family of bottled pear items (in honor of our girls who think everything comes in a family). There's the big Daddy bottle of pears, the mommy pear jam, the kid pear jam and the baby pear jam. Aren't they just so adorable.
Pears for breakfast, pears for lunch,
pears for dinner and for brunch.
Pears in the morning, pears at night,
pears extending out of sight.
Pears that are ripe, pears that are green,
pears at every stage in between.
I love pears!
(well...I'm sort of tired of them now).
2 comments:
Jane, you are so cute. That is amazing about your pear tree producing big daddys like that. Love you poem. I love fall time, and all the wonderful things to eat. We have an old pioneer pear tree here, they say it's over 100 years old. And it still gives a pears every year. They don't get very big, but they are so sweet to eat. You'll have to send me your pear jam recipe. I would love to try it. We picked about 8 5 gallon buckets worth and they are all starting to ripen up. So Jam would be a good idea. Hmoysh@yahoo.com. Thanks, Love Heather.
I love the pear poem! How talented you are. I need to learn how to can. I love your hair long! You look great.
Post a Comment